I really love exercise. I love the energy it gives me. It makes me feel more capable and confident. I enjoy it. It’s something I like to do for fun. However, the past few weeks have just been really busy and I have to choose between housework and working out. As much as I love working out I have to choose housework. That is my responsibility and I can’t feel good about working out if it means the home suffers.
Sometimes you just have to get creative to get a workout in. Throughout the day I find little ways to get some extra exercise. This isn’t as good as an actual workout but I really believe it’s better than nothing! So here are a few ways I get a little bit of exercise everyday. I am so used to doing them that quite often I just do it without thinking about it!
- Calf Raises while doing dishes. Basically go up and down on your tippy toes. First do 5 then rest. Then 10 then rest. Keep working your way up.
- Squats while folding laundry. I keep my laundry basket on the floor and each time I go down to pick up a peice to fold I do a squat. Easy as that.
- Incline Push ups while kids bath. While the kids bath I put my hands on the side of the tub and do pushups from there.
- Lunge from room to room. Click the link for proper lunging technique. But basically lunge around the house instead of walking sometimes.
- One leg squat to pick things up off the floor. Basically the same as a squat but with one leg and you bend at the waist as you pick things up. I really like this one. I do it most often.
What are some of your favorite ways to get some exercise in when you don’t have time for a real workout? Of course going for a walk is always so nice, too! Share your ideas with me!