The idea was given to me about a month ago to make an If/Then Chart for the kids. Have you ever heard of these? I hadn’t. What it is is a chart you make for the kids. If they _____ then _____happens. Get it? This is meant to be a training tool. It teaches consequences. It teaches that when we do something it causes something else to happen. This can be used for discipline or for praise. The one I made is meant for discipline.
On the left is my “If” column. I wrote the things my kids most struggle with: Whining/complaining, disobeying, talking mean, pushing/hitting, lying, and not trying hard enough (don’t my kids sound like dolls).
The next column is the verse they are to memorize when they do an “If”. Memorizing this verse IS NOT the punishment. You need to remember that and make sure your child understands that. Memorizing the verse is part of the learning process and helps us and our kids to remember it’s God that we have disobeyed. It’s not just because Mom and Dad say so, it’s because God says so. I will share my list but my verses won’t suit every family. Choose what verses you want to use.
Here is my list:
- Whine/complain- In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18
- Disobey- Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Ephesians 6:1
- Talking Mean- A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24
- Pushing/hitting- And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32
- Lying- Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Ephesians 4:29
- Lazy/not trying hard enough- And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Colossians 3:23
The last column is the “Then.” You will notice it is chopped off of the photo. That was on purpose. I don’t intend to share here my “thens” because they are things Shane and I decided based on God’s Word. You search the Scripture and decide what your “thens” should be.
I have already seen the benefits of using this chart. More Scripture is getting memorized. I am more consistent with consequences. The kids are behaving better. It has been a real blessing to our home and maybe it can be to yours, too!